Amelia has trained over 220 instructors how to adapt the practice of yoga safely to the stand up paddle board. She has a teaching style of clear and concise anatomy based cueing, interwoven with the wisdom of Vedic philosophy and a spirit of devotion. Her classes cultivate a spirit of gratitude for the natural environment and respect for each yogi’s unique journey into self-inquiry. After breaking her back in a surfing accident in 2012, Amelia realized that life is too short to do anything but what you love. She lives each day now by the Stoked Yogi mantra: Set your intention, then breathe it to life.
Current Location: San Diego, California
Hometown: Davis, California
What does being a Glide Yogi mean to you?
- For me, practicing and sharing yoga on the water is about community, challenge, and connection. Glide is an incredible organization because we genuinely care about the environment, our customers, and our team! We have a sense of community that goes much deeper than trying to sell paddle boards. I love the challenge of SUP yoga, of playfully exploring new poses on the water and sometimes getting wet! And most of all, being a Glide team yogi is about connection - connection with my students, my other team yogis, and most of all, our natural environment. Water covers our planet and it is a vital element for our life! Connecting with the water, and with nature - that’s what it’s all about for me.
Top three songs in your yoga playlist?
- Only Love is Real by MCYogi - for getting it pumped up!
- Chapter of the Forest by Trevor Hall - for slowing it down.
- Singing bowls and kirtan - love to make the music myself with my students.
Favorite Pose(s) for SUP Yoga?
- I can’t pick just one. I’m going top 3.
- Headstand - because it just feels so empowering to see the world upside down on the water, Warrior II - because we find focus and a need for alignment that is rarely found on land, and Savasana - because there’s nothing better than hearing waves lap at your board and feeling sun on your skin as you sink into relaxation.
Best advice for beginner SUP Yoga:
- Relax, let go of your expectations and come prepared to get wet and have fun!
Fave post-paddle eats?
- Tender Greens happy vegan salad. Or a carnitas burrito. I’m an equal opportunity foodie.
Words to live by?
- Set Your Intention, Breathe It to Life. - Stoked Yogi
- Whatever you can do, or believe you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. - Goethe
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt
If you could meet any person dead or alive who would it be?
- Jesus. I have a feeling we’d be major homies.
Please add any links to your Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or website.